Thursday 23 April 2020

Quarantine Project - Finally Completing Sixmillopolis

Like many people right now, I'm under a stay-at-home order here in Wisconsin. That has meant a lot of free time to fill. And one way I've filled this time is by working on a project I've wanted to do for a while - Sixmillopolis.

A while back I ordered some 6mm scale buildings from Old Crow miniatures. Unfortunately that company no longer seems to be active. Which is a shame because the models I got were excellent, and they had a lot of other very cool looking items on their site.  I've been meaning to paint these buildings up for a while, and stay-at-home free time has given me the push to do it; 

The overall city layout of nine tiles


Downtown CBD

Greenspace I have named Three-Point Park

The cream building could be either an exclusive hotel or a rich-person's mansion.

Not sure what I want to do with the overbridge yet - cross a river, a major highway, or just a standard road.

Tile with the black square area is set aside for a building I have on order

Zentraedi assault!

Each tile is 20cm/8". All the roads go to the center of the tile edges, so as to make them as modular as possible and allow tiles to be rotated or swapped around. At the moment I have nine tiles, so enough to fill a 2 foot by 2 foot area . More MDF tiles and a bunch of additional buildings from a few other companies are on order. The goal is to get to 18 tiles, which would let me cover a third of a standard 6x4 gaming table with urban terrain. A stretch goal will be to add a river running through the city. The thought with this would be to have the river made up of pairs of 10cm/4" wide lengths. Two lengths put together would make a stretch of river... or you could put down just one side to represent a lakefront or shoreline.

One dilemma I have at the moment is whether to glue everything down and make each tile a fixed piece (with all the buildings/green spaces/detailing set) or to leave the buildings and other elements loose and place them on the tile during game setup. Right now I'm inclined to fix each tile. This will limit variety, but with 18 tiles to mix and match I'll still have hundreds of possible layouts and it will save time setting up for each game.

No comments:

Post a Comment