Wednesday 16 December 2020

Occupy the Buildings

 The SC infantry stands have been finished; 




I'm reasonably happy with how these guys have come out. The final color scheme I like. While there is maybe some more detailing and improvements to the highlighting I could come back to in future, I'm calling these guys done for now. 

Fifteenmillville

For my next project, as a change of pace I'm going back to improving my 15mm terrain. Fortunately a lot of the terrain I did for 6mm is usable at 15mm. The hills and river sections definitely can, and even the trees look passably to scale to my mind. So it's basically the human-built structures I need to work on - buildings and roads. Here is where I'm at right now; 



Six buildings and two 24"/60cm road lengths, mostly base-coated. So a passable start, and probably enough to use in actual games. But also definitely room to make better. 

The first building piece I want to finish off is the fast-food restaurant. The building is from the Battlefield-in-a-Box range, but based up to include a drive-thru and parking lot. All that's strictly needed on this piece is to add the road markings. But as a stretch goal I'm considering re-painting the roof, maybe to either blue or orange. 

An army marches on its stomach

After that I want to improve the generic square buildings, which are MDF kits from Gamecraft Miniatures.



The quality of these is excellent. They're laser-cut (so the pieces fit together perfectly) and the tabbed design made for very easy assembly. The large windows do mean that the basic building looks like its under construction, so I'm thinking of finding something in the way of a colored plastic to use as windows, and maybe add some interior walls. 

After that it's the apartment block (brown building in the images above), convenience store, some more roads, and roading features (intersection, maybe an overpass). After which (oh, who am I kidding, it's happening right now) I'll have to start googling for some more "sci-fi" looking buildings to buy. 

After this is complete, I think I'll have a pretty decent set of kit for 15mm sci-fi games. While sadly COVID means it may still be a while before I can start gaming again, I'll probably amuse myself by setting up dioramas. Maybe even several in links set to describe fictional battles. 




No comments:

Post a Comment