Thursday 1 December 2022

The Lost Temple of Xhi-Rathor

Since I haven't been blogging for a while I have a few recent (well, sort of recent) projects to update. One of these is a terrain layout - The Lost Temple of Xhi-Rathor.

This started out inspired by playing some D&D with friends. I had painted up some WizKids official D&D monsters and adventurers, and googled some good options for scenery. So I decided to made up a full dungeon in 28mm scale. And since my favorite instance when I used to play World of Warcraft back in the day was Zul'Farrak, that became the imagery I was going for. 


The canyon wall sections are just modelling clay. Cheap and easy to do, but I think I may try to design some higher sections (aiming for 8" / 20cm or higher)  to create a more imposing look. The Forgotten Temple Walls are from a company called EnderToys Terrain. Who I will recommend, and intend to buy some of their other stuff for future projects. 

The central temple is the section I am most pleased with. It was constructed just using the EnderToys temple walls, combined with some basic materials from a local hobby store. Each level can be lifted off to portray adventures happening within. 




Not 100% finished yet, but I'm very pleased with how it is coming out. Apart from the taller canyon sections and finishing the temple interior, my next though is I need to grab a few more Forgotten Temple sections from EnderToys, and use them to create a couple of surrounding buildings.

So, a successful project I think, and potentially with multiple uses. While this was originally planned for a fantasy dungeon-crawl, I think I could be used for many 28mm games. It could work for a Sith-Temple in Star Wars: Legion, or a Tzeentch shrine for 40K. Hell, even using my 28mm World War II minis, Indiana Jones could easily be seeking the Art of the Covenant in here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment