Wednesday 23 January 2019

Latest Project - Robotech Tactics

I've mentioned before that it's good to have a fellow gamer brother, because he always comes up with great gift ideas. And this Christmas that would be Robotech Tactics.

Having only vaguely heard about this game before receiving the core box, my first response was to do a bit of googling about it. It turns out this game has had a bit of a troubled development - Kickstarter pledges not honoured, only the second wave of models released out of several planned, and ultimately loss of the Robotech licence meaning the game is no longer in production. All of which won't be too surprising to anybody who knows a bit of Palladium's history - they have a track record of being not a great company to deal with.

But there's nothing to be done about any of that. Fingers crossed that some other company picks up the licence and production designs, but for now I'm just going to enjoy the stuff I have. The core box comes with;

  • 5 Veritech fighters, with a model for each of their fighter, guardian, and battloid modes
  • 2 Tomahawk destroids
  • 2 Defender destroids
  • 12 Zentraedi battlepods
  • 1 Zentraedi officer pod
  • 1 Zentraedi recon pod
  • 1 Zentraedi recovery pod
There is some criticism online that the models are somewhat fiddly to assemble. Which is true, but some reports are exaggerated - they aren't beginner models, but they're also not the hardest models I've ever had to assemble by any stretch. (Although that said I haven't started assembling the Veritechs yet, which are supposed to be the worst).

To begin with I've started on the Zentraedi, which are all assembled, and I have a couple of prototypes base-coated to try out a colour scheme. I've gone with something a little different from the TV show, an overall dark red with black/gray panels.








Works in progress (still need to be washed, highlighted, and based), but enough to demonstrate how the colours will look. And overall I'm happy with it. Non-standard, but still has a nice villainous look to it. And it also has the advantage that I own some spaceship models in a similar colour scheme which I think would fit in well-enough as Zentraedi ships.

Which is a nice segue into my next comment. Unfortunately the Robotech Tactics rules don't include spacecraft, or conventional infantry/armour/artillery. It has nothing but the mechs. But luckily my favourite wargame of all time is also at 6mm scale, so these models will be perfect for adapting to it - Epic:Armageddon. The Robotech Tactics native rules have gotten very middling reviews online anyway, so I may or may not even bother to give them a go. Instead the plan is to come up with some Epic unit stats and army list, and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment