Sunday 13 January 2019

Fire for Effect!

One unfortunate omission from Team Yankee is the lack of towed artillery. Despite the existence of mechanised artillery, towed guns remain an important element of armies worldwide. But for whatever reason Battlefront has stubbornly refused to include them. Which was particularly annoying for me, since the only artillery available to a purely NZ force would be the L118 Light Gun (same applies to Australia as well I believe).

Now yes, I could take allied formations and include British or American self-propelled guns. But I don't want to do that. I want to use New Zealands own forces - specifically, a battery from 16 Field Artillery.

Fine. Battlefront aren't the only miniature company in the world. After a bit of googling I found that Old Glory Miniatures does a 15mm scale L118 Light Gun. They come in packs of three guns, so I ordered two in order to have enough for a four gun battery. I will definitely recommend these. The gun and crew are metal, high quality with good attention to detail. There was a little bit of flash needed to be removed, but not much.


Scale wise the gun crew match quite well with BF infantry, with no noticeable difference in size. Once painted up and based they fit in perfectly with the official Team Yankee models.






Next step is to come up with some (unofficial of course) stats and rules. But this shouldn't be too hard - I figure on using the Abbot as a starting point for the weapon, and FoW already has rules for towed guns.

No comments:

Post a Comment