Sunday 30 August 2020

More Serpents, More Scenery

The Serpent army is coming together. Here is where it stands right now;




Battlefront large bases for the heavy weapon teams and battlesuits have arrived and everything is based up. So I no longer have any excuses, the last units need to be finished.

Battlesuits are nicely based and done.



A couple of new units have been added. First, a couple of recon/attack drones. These models were originally medium fliers from the Covenant of Antarctica fleet from Spartan Games Dystopian Wars range. The colors and design aesthetic fit in perfectly here. [Hat tip; these were painted by my brother Vaughan, who gifted me his CoA fleet.]


The next addition is a bit random. The model is just a bargain-bin plastic toy cobra. But the detailing is decent, and once repainted it actually came out looking pretty good. It fits perfectly with the overall theme of the army.


I'm not sure yet exactly what role this model will play in the list. It could just be a giant trained war-beast. But the other option (and where I'm leaning) is to have it as the "Nest Queen" - overall commander of the army, with impressive psychic powers able to throw around tanks, generate a tough protective field, that sort of stuff. 

The Hills Are Alive


After thinking about being lazy and having hills made on commission, I came across this YouTube tutorial. Which reminded me I have made my own hills in the past, so there's no reason I couldn't do so again. I mostly followed the tutorial's method, except I skipped the sanding stage. If you're covering the piece in paper-mache anyway, what does it matter if the edges are perfect? Results have been overall fairly good.


The image above shows the hills at different stages, from raw carved polystyrene, to paper-mache covered, basecoated, and then textured. The overall result I'm happy with, but the texturing could use improvement. Flocking large areas is tricky, and it's hard to get a nice even layer. This is something I'll have to practise.


No comments:

Post a Comment