Saturday 12 September 2020

Serpent Army is Finished

I think I must be violating some law of the wargaming universe - recently projects are being completed at a faster rate than new ones are started.

Latest project completed, the Serpents for 15mm sci-fi.



Apart from the core infantry units, the formation has two heavy weapon sections. First, a heavy direct fire unit.




And second a mortar battery.



While completing the last units I also improved the basing and details on the Nest-Queen (which is now officially the commander of the whole force).


I'd really like to add stuff to this model - some armor, comms, maybe weapons or something that could represent shield generators. But that would depend on my modelling skills, which I'm not sure are up to it. For now the naked model looks decent, so rather than risk ruining it I'll use "psychic powers" as a convenient excuse to give it the capabilities I want it to have on the table.

The next step for this army will be to find a game system to use them with. My googling hasn't turned up any 15mm sci-fi systems that look interesting, so I'll likely end up writing one myself. Possible working title - Sierra Foxtrot. It's likely to be very strongly influenced by (if not to start with just directly a sci-fi version of) my favorite 15mm game system, Flames of War / Team Yankee.

Terrain Update

While the Serpents have been my main focus recently, I've also had a few side projects for a change of pace. The hills for my terrain collection are improving.




I still haven't mastered a good technique for flocking large areas in a nice even layer. So for now the method is to do an initial coat as evenly as possible, then touch up any patchy areas. This produces a decidedly uneven layer, but the end result looks decently realistic. I'm tempted to start experimenting with patching using alternate flock types (particularly some sandy/rocky textures) and see how that looks.

Robotech Reinforcements

I've added some new units to my Robotech forces. On the Zentraedi side, a couple more heavy weapon battlepods.


And for the UEDF, a couple of Phalanx destroids.



The models are actually Huo-Che battlemechs from Steel Warrior Studios, but they're more than close enough for me. I've also acquired 4 Apache helicopter gunships from GHQ. Right now they are still in their packaging (only received today), but once assembled they can either reinforce the UEDF or be part of a 6mm modern force.

A Growing City

Lastly, as part of the same order with the "Phalanx" destroids I picked up a few more buildings from Steel Warrior Studios to add a couple of extra tiles to Sixmillopolis.





No comments:

Post a Comment