Tuesday 29 September 2020

The Red Army in Autumn

Coming up in October this year there is a wargaming tournament down in Lake Geneva - Autumn Wars. On the Saturday they are running a Team Yankee event, Tankers Delight. This has provided the incentive to pull out an army I have been slowly working away on for some time - a Soviet T-72 battalion. 

Unfortunately the tournament army requirements aren't to my preference; lists are 120 points, of which at least 90 points must be tanks with front armor 9 or above. The organizers are clearly MBT fans, and want to see big formations of these running around. But I'm keen enough to play a TY event that I'll forbear. 

Sitting down to organize a force that meets these requirements, here in where I'm at right now; 



To meet the minimum MBT requirement I'll either have to buy more T-72s, or add a formation of T-64s or T-80s. At the moment I'm thinking a list something like this;


T-72 Battalion

  • T-72 HQ (5 pts)
  • T-72 Company of 8 (37 pts)
  • T-72 Company of 8 (37 pts)
  • T-72 Company of 6 (27 pts)
  • Motor Rifle Company in BTR-60s (medium, 10 pts)
  • ZSU-23 Platoon of 4 (4 pts)
  • 2S1 Carnation Battery of 3 (5 pts)

This comes to 120 exactly, and also puts me comfortably above the minimum MBT requirement. 

In terms of what models have will have to acquire and finish painting, I'll need 13 more T-72s. Of the models I have now, the artillery are finished, and all the vehicles are basecoated. The infantry are assembled and primed, but that's it. 





So a decent amount of work to do. That's OK, I've got a couple of weeks to get everything finished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment