Monday 8 February 2021

The Completed Swarm and Future Plans

 I've finished three new units for the Malroid Swarm army - the air support, the Tactical Node command unit, and the 'Apollyon' artillery units. 







These additions make this army fully complete, with the target six unit types all painted and finished. The Zhaleed Empire army is also done. The Serpents and Southern Commonwealth armies both only have one unit to go - a platoon of scout vehicles for the SC, and air support for the Serpents. Models for both have been ordered.

Works in Progress

With most of the Sierra Foxtrot armies either finished or very close to finished, I've started thinking about what my next project should be. It makes sense to start with the models I've already bought, which means two forces in progress. First, finishing the Wolf-Knights for Sierra Foxtrot;


These guys are around 50% complete. I've got three more of the wolf-mechs on order, which I'll assemble two with guns, one with missile packs (large bases in image shown are stand-ins). I have the infantry platoon assembled and primed, so these are probably the next thing I'll work on. The plan is to go with a mostly white Stormtrooper-esque scheme, with blue shoulder pads to match the wolves. A platoon of transports have also been ordered. 

The other army on my painting table right is something completely different (sorry, no John Cleese in a bikini this time; apologies to his fans) - a House Stark army for Song of Ice and Fire. Three infantry stands, a cavalry stand, and a Dire Wolf, all just primed at the moment.

This was a completely random purchase on a whim. I saw it on the shelf, figured I hadn't played 28mm fantasy for a while (not since Warhammer 8th Edition, and I've sold my Dark Elf army) so I figured "why not". The core box comes with both Starks and Lannisters, so I figure I'll get the Starks done first, play a couple of games, then do some research into what armies/expansions are available. If models are available, the idea of a Dornish force has some appeal. (And if models aren't available... well, some War of the Ring Haradrim/Easterlings would probably work as a decent stand-in). 

Apart from these two forces, the other main project I'm thinking about is varying my terrain setups. Right now I have a very passable "summer grass" layout, with a flocked 8'x4' mat and matching hills. But I'd like to be able to play on a more desert table. Not pure sand, but like the rocky, sparse prairie terrain you get in the US south-west. There are a few companies that make battle-mats in this theme, so I'll read some reviews and pick one. Then probably make some new hills to match.

No comments:

Post a Comment